David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 12 November 2017

Mutton Chop 1938 British Infantry

Whilst gaming here in GHQ and elsewhere has been severely curtailed these last few weeks I have managed a little more useful activity on the painting front. Most recently I’ve been working on the new 1938 British infantry from Mutton Chop for my VBCW collection. I bought one of each pack on release, so I had 12 riflemen, including NCOs, two 2 man Light Machine Gun teams - one Lewis Gun, one Bren Gun - and the MMG team of 3 figures and the gun for a total of 20 pieces. when the command pack is available I shall add that to the mix.

Now, either my eyesight is deteriorating markedly or the sculpting/molding/casting needs some comment as I found some of the detail on the figures very soft, especially the strapping on the webbing equipment and the buckles. But, as they are viewed from several feet away on the table they are more than good enough I feel for me.



I’ve also added another standard bearer to the VBCW collection, as usual from the Footsore range, as Pete Barfield - Ace Bloke 1st Class - made me a flag for the Wolverhampton branch of the National Union of Railwaymen so I can field a unit from Oxley Sidings along with my armoured train I was gifted by Colin Ashton. Watch this space as they say.

I’ve also added one figure to my Wars of the French Revolution project, a Boot Hill Mexican Colonel who is now a French General! As he was sculpted by Matt he’ll fit right in with my collection of Trent Miniatures.

On the painting desk now I have a Front Rank Tarleton Legion officer who will be ‘Bloody Ban’ himself in my AWI games. Waiting patiently in the queue are the Eureka FRW French Horse Artillery caisson set, the caisson at least has its green foundation colour on; the Wargames Illustrated Giants in Miniature George Washington, together with two Foundry figures and a Warbases road sign; and finally, four British AWI figures from Foundry to make a Command vignette. That will see me into December I think...

15 comments:

  1. Nice report.

    I had to laugh when I first saw the photo of the Boot Hill colonel. Until I read the caption I thought he might be a French export from the Popular Front for your VBCW project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your French general is great, your British infantry look fine to me and that's a lovely looking flag!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looking units David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soft detail or not you have turned them out well, a fine looking flag from Mr. B too. Looks a tad arrogant that General, think he was an old aristo myself, we shall keep an eye on him :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can’t help thinking he looks like Matt myself...

      Delete
  5. Nice job 🙂 when I get a chance will blog our VBCW game from the weekend. I do need to sort out some better flags though. Another project to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look forward to that report! As you know Pete Barfield of the VBCForum made mine for me. I take no credit beyond some of the research via Google.

      Delete
    2. I think I need to find some fancy software to do them, will have a hunt about 😀

      Delete
  6. An interesting mix of lovely toys...
    And people call me a butterfly...

    All the best Aly

    ReplyDelete